Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Show me your parallelogram

Today in Math class (college), I learned (or rather, reviewed) the difference between all the members of the quadrilateral family.  It was fun and challenging.  I learned that I have forgotten some of those terms we use to describe the quads.  Things like bisect, perpendicular, congruent...  Oh, would that be more vocabulary? Perhaps that is why I cannot access it in my memory.

I also learned that I can get REALLY excited when I understand a math concept.  I learned I need to check myself so I don't overwhelm my cohort mates (or future students).  I need a little bit of Math filter. :)

From the readings this week, I learned the importance of using manipulatives (especially in the middle level) and some strategies for incorporating literacy in Math class.  I actually think integrating these two is a good strategy because students can use writing to explain the depth of their thinking about math concepts.

My major question at this point is: How do we inspire the kids?  Or how do we motivate them?  My question stems from my experience in the classroom.  The middle school class where I observe has a daily morning work assignment that they work on for 7 minutes and then go over the answers for 7 minutes (so about 15 minutes, or a third of the 45 minute period).  It is my understanding that this work is not correct, graded, collected, reviewed, etc.  I go around the classroom, trying to help students, but some are not working on their morning work.  When we go over the answers, some are following along, and some are not.  And my question is, why should they?  They will not turn in the work or receive a grade for it.  The problems might show up on a future test or even the MSP, but that is not enough of an incentive.  I don't know that grading these, or attaching some kind of reward or punishment to the morning work is the direction I want to go.  So, my question is: how can I motivate the students to do the work?

No comments:

Post a Comment