Wow, I really enjoyed my math course this quarter. I learned about a great graphing website (gapminder) and how to use some pretty fun manipulatives like bean counters and Mira tools. I learned that many people have strong feelings about math, and it is hard to teach our students without realizing their "relationship" with math. I learned how important continual reflection can be for improving as a teacher. I also learned just how much I love math.
I got a little frustrated due to the playing card groups, but not because of who I was placed with. I just like to sit where I like to sit in the classroom. However, I think I liked having random groups assigned each week because it forced the entire cohort to work with new people. I think that part of being a teacher is learning to work with different people at the school, so this was good practice. I liked how straight forward our professor was and how wanted our assignments to be concise and short.
I think I will definitely employ some of the strategies I learned in this course in my future classroom, specifically working in randomized groups and using different manipulatives that allow students hands-on learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment