Objectives
SWBAT develop a topic in multiple paragraphs using topic sentences and supporting details.
SWBAT create descriptive sentences or edit existing sentences to make them more descriptive.
Rationale: I chose to focus this lesson on editing sentences to make them more descriptive and to add sentences which contain supporting detail (of the main topic/paragraph) because I noticed that this was an aspect missing from one student, and I think it is pertinent to the whole class.
Standards
Writing
GLE 1. The student understands and uses a writing process
1.3 Revises to improve text.
GLE 3. The student writes clearly and effectively.
3.1 Develops ideas and organizes writing.
English Language Development
• Uses descriptive sentences
• Develops a topic in multiple paragraphs using topic sentences and supporting details
• Distinguishes between relevant and irrelevant details
Materials
White board and marker (or large post-it paper) for shared all-class writing
Story or informational reading in Science, Social Studies, etc. for students to do small group shared writing (enough copies for each member of group)
Student writing journals and pencils for students to write/take notes
Instructional Strategies
This is a multi-day, multi-step, interdisciplinary lesson that works on improving writing (specifically the five paragraph essay) with regard to developing and organizing ideas, making revisions, and designing paragraphs around a central topic with supporting details.
The teacher should begin this lesson with modeling a shared writing. It would be best to choose as a topic either a book that most students have read or are familiar with (Harry Potter) or a film (age appropriate), or a reading done for Science or Social Studies class. Once you have identified the source for your shared writing, call the class to either clear their desks or come to the carpet.
The teacher will model the shared writing process for writing a five paragraph essay to answer a main question or topic by giving three reasons and finding supporting details. The teacher will model choosing a main topic for the essay. For example, in the film Finding Nemo, why does Nemo’s father travel the ocean to find his son? The teacher will then model brainstorming ideas and noting supporting facts from the film. Students will be encouraged to join in. Possibilities are: Nemo’s father loves him, Nemo’s father is scared for him, Nemo’s father would be all alone without Nemo. Then, call on students to share specific parts of the film that demonstrate Nemo’s father’s love, fear, etc. The teacher will write all the ideas on the board/poster. The teacher will organize the supporting facts into one of the three categories. Then, the teacher will model creating paragraphs with topic sentences and supporting details. The first and last paragraphs need to be clear introduction and conclusions that point to the main topic. The teacher should purposefully write several boring sentences with repeated wording.
Then, the teacher can go back through and revise some of the wording to make it more interesting, active, and engaging. The teacher should ask the students for ideas and contributions about how to make the language more exciting. Once the entire process has been modeled, tell the students they will get into groups you assign and work on this same process for the next three days during writing time. Divide up the class into small groups of 4-5 students per group. Do not ability group.
Stage 2: Students will get into small groups which the teacher assigns in order to do a shared writing on a topic of their choosing based on a reading from Science or Social Studies. The students will read the article. Then the students can talk about the reading and ask each other any clarifying questions about meaning. Then, the students can reread the article, this time highlighting important points. Then, the students will share out some of their ideas for the topic sentence or question. The students will vote on the topic they like best and begin to find supporting details. Students will need to organize the details and come up with three paragraphs supporting their main topic.
Stage 3: Students will get into their groups and revise their sentences. They need to check their word choice to ensure it is engaging. Students also need to ensure their supporting details are strong. During this time, the teacher can go around and sit in and observe the groups. The teacher may make a few suggestions, but try to defer to the group. The goal is to have students monitor their own writing. When students have their essay finished, the teacher will have a writing conference with the group to discuss their essay and see how they met the objectives.
Stage 4: Students will write their own essay. It can be based on a book or one of the articles that another group read. Give students time to brainstorm their ideas and make their points. Spend three days getting the essay down on paper. Then have students meet in paired writing conferences and get feedback. Students need to continue to edit and make changes. Students will take this writing through to publishing. Teacher can decide how to display final product in a class book, poster, or oral presentation.
Assessment
Students will be assessed by their peers for group participation (3 - helped/participated, 1 - misbehaved or did not participate)
Students will be assessed by the teacher during the small group writing conference based on participation and student contributions to the group writing (3 – student contributions noted, 1-student disengaged)
Students will be assessed on their supporting details (3 - strong, 1 - poor or weak, 9 total points)
Students will be assessed on their thoughtful revisions to make the writing engaging (3 – revisions evident, 1- some revision)
Hi Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI felt honored to read your analysis and lesson plan for McKinley. Reading your work pointed out a few holes I have in my own analysis and lesson plan, I was truly impressed! I think you set the stage well with describing the meaning of or behind the two pieces of writing you were able to get. I do wonder if McKinley enjoys writing. Does he prefer any specific type of writing? Or, does he ever write for fun? From the interaction you described about having trouble with getting another piece of writing from him I wonder if he does not think he is a good writer.
Your analysis of McKinley’s writing samples is clear and provides excellent examples. You also seamlessly integrated readings from this quarter. They were appropriate where placed and did not seem random. You also provide examples of McKinley’s writing, which supported your assessment in each trait. I also appreciated being able to read his essay in class, thank you. You say in your context portion, “It is unclear who the hidden child is and why he or she needs to be in hiding” and I agree with this statement after reading his essay. Where do you think this aspect fits into the six traits?
For your lesson plan, your objectives are explicit and your assessment is clearly tied to objectives. The lesson has the capacity to be relevant to students, based on the reading that is selected, and it is structured nicely with the Optimal Learning Model as described by Routman. Don’t forget to add the rationale for your objectives to your final reflection. I understand why you chose to do this lesson plan, but your reasoning is not stated in your analysis or lesson.
I think you did a great job. Like I said, I have feedback for myself based on reading your work. Thanks for letting me provide feedback.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI believe McKinley’s essay pertains to the book “The Butterfly” by Patricia Polacco. A young girl, Monique, is a resident of France during World War II. The young girl wakes up in the night to what she thinks is a little ghost at the end of her bed. Monique tries to speak to the ghost but the ghost runs away. When she tells her mother of the ghost, her mother abruptly tells her that it was just a dream. She comes to discover that the ghost is a Jewish girl named Sevrine who has been hiding from the Nazis in her basement. The two become best friends until Sevrine is discovered by the Nazis. The book is a based on a true story of the author’s Aunt Monique.
I found this to be a difficult assignment in that we were given writing pieces with no knowledge of where they came from. I’m not sure if the above will help you in thinking about the essay, or if it’s even the same book, but I wanted to at least point out who I believe the hidden child to be. Sevrine would have been the child McKinley discusses in his three body paragraphs about hunger, moving from place to place, and finding adequate hiding places.
Based on your analysis, I think you made a wise choice to prepare a lesson that will help McKinely develop and organize ideas, make revisions, and design paragraphs around a central topic with supporting details. As you pointed out, this will also assist the student in distinguishing between relevant and irrelevant details. After this lesson it seems that the student would be able to create a clear and focused paper that provides details that enrich the central theme. I also appreciate in the lesson that the teacher starts by modeling and then invites the students to work in groups and independently. Your assessment was also solid in that the students would be assessed by their peers and the teacher (what constitutes 2 work?)
Regarding McKinley’s poem, I agree that the voice is “sacrificed to the mechanics of the poem structure and his descriptions of common-place green objects…” I couldn’t have said it better myself. I had the same issue with my buddy’s poem and found it hard to decipher what he was talking about, even after he explained it to me (Red is like blood dripping down your mouth like ketchup). I also found my buddy trying to create rhyming sentences that distracted from the meaning of his color, much like in McKinley’s poem (Solar beam is sight, People are right).
I noticed that Kristin and Jocelyn both provided a rationale for their lessons (I did not). I reviewed the project one assignment and it does say that we need a rationale for selecting our objectives. I’m not sure if this is something you want to add to your lesson, but I think I will so it’s explicit why I selected the lesson in a few sentences.
Thanks again for all the time you took with this assignment. Your analysis and lesson are well thought out and meaningful. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your work.
-Tristen
FINAL REFLECTION
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments and suggestions. Your thoughts have helped me to consider several things as I pursue designing an appropriate lesson for McKinley based on what I know about his writing so far.
First, addressing Mrs. H's comment about how this student sees himself as a writer, made me realize I need to find out from McKinley a little bit more about how he sees himself as a writer. I'm reminded of Routman's claim that "we (as teachers) have to see ourselves as writers if we are to teach writing well" (Writing Essentials, p. 35). I wonder if she would agree that our students also need to see themselves as writers before they are going to want to learn and practice writing well. Before attempting any writing instruction with McKinley, I would want to ensure that he sees himself as a writer.
Thank you, Tristen, for the book suggestion as a possibility for what McKinley is writing about with his "hidden child". I am not familiar with the "The Butterfly", but I plan to check it out and ask McKinley where his inspiration for this writing assignment originated.
Thank you Tristen and Mrs. H for catching my missing rationale. It has been added to the lesson plan objectives above.
For some reason this blog is not allowing Jocelyn to post her comments. I was able to speak with her in class, and I have a response to her feedback. Regarding my lesson plan, I see that it follows the optimum teaching/learning model put forth by Routman of teacher demonstration, shared demonstration, guided practice and independent practice. I did not label the four stages, but I think they are obvious. I want to be sure to keep in mind Routman's tips for successful writing conferences when I meet with the small groups, including celebrating what the writers have done well, not making corrections for the child, and for listening to the language of the writing for clarity (p. 215).
I was very impressed by McKinley's organization in his writing and I think it could be enhanced by a lesson on supporting details. I was rather releived to find he did not struggle with voice or conventions because I think those two aspects are the most difficult to teach.