Friday, November 19, 2010

...a teacher in training...: Permutations & Combinations

...a teacher in training...: Permutations & Combinations: "1. What did you learn? I have always had a tough time remembering the difference between 'permutations' & 'combinations'...for which does or..."

In response to Mr. Linger's blog post about the difference between Permutations and Combinations - I can totally relate! I don't recall learning this during my years of high school or college math. I was introduced to P&C as I began to study for the WEST E Middle Level Math test. I liked how Mr. Linger found a way to keep the two straight using mneumonic devices. I have a similar one that I use for Multiples and Fractions. This might seem silly because if you just look at the names, it seems fairly apparent that multiples implies many and fractions implies parts of wholes. However, I have found that on tests and in classrooms, students are mostly exposed to GCF and LCM. The F and M don't have the same meaning as Fraction and Multiple to students. I always say to myself, Fraction is Fewer and Multiple is More.
Thanks for the helpful tip, Mr. Linger!

No comments:

Post a Comment